Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Romance Fiction Mini-Corpus, Steps 1~3 (Love My Dogs: Sample Text)

Step 1: Each student is responsible for typing up one short text from a collection of Golden Age Comics. The texts should be typed using a free text processor such as NoteTab (NOT Microsoft Word).


Step 2: Your text should be proofread for errors in punctuation, capitalization and other miscellaneous errors and uploaded page by page to the Romance Fiction Mini-Corpus web pages based on the first letter of your story title (i.e. "Love My Dogs" should be uploaded to the I-L section). Your teacher will do some some more processing and return the raw text to you.


Step 3: The raw text will be turned into a PDF file. You should use the Text Box Tool in the free version of PDF-XChange Viewer to produce a PDF file with crisp, clean searchable text segmented for improved readability: when lines are too long, use the syntactic structure rules you have learned to break them up long lines into noun phrases, verb phrases, prepositional phrases etc. (NP, VP, PP etc.).

Here is page 1 of the original purely graphical version of "Love My Dogs" (a three page love story), followed by the pure text version and the PDF version.
 "Love My Dogs" (page 1, graphic version)




"Love My Dogs" (page 1, text version):



Page 1,1: Ruth darling, won't it be paradise? Just you ... and I ... And sixteen dogs? Oh, what am I getting myself into? I should have my head examined for loving you, Don Kent!
2: Love me ... love my dogs, honey! *ALL* of them? A whole kennel full of yapping spaniels? Can't you go back to being a writer? It's so much more peaceful!
3: "But love is never peaceful or quiet!" I should have known that. Ever since I lost my heart to Don Kent, there'd been thunder in my soul, a surge of emotion every time I felt his lips on mine! Speak up, woman. When will you marry me? I, I don't know!
4: Then, suddenly, a devil possessed me! Blindly, I fled from the man I loved! M-Maybe I *WON'T* marry you! M-Maybe you'd rather live with a lot of cocker spaniels!
 "Love My Dogs" (page 1, screenshot of PDF version)